Run Out Drill
I personally promise that this drill will make you at least one ball better within 30 days—so long as you keep your promise to me.
It’s very common for people to agree to a deal on the front end. It’s on the back end when most people break down from their commitment. Here’s what we’re promising each other. I’ll teach you a drill that will make you run out better than you currently do if you’ll promise to do this drill every day for 30 days. If you can keep your promise, I know mine is in the bag.
1. Rack the 7, 8 & 9 ball on the spot.
2. Break the balls and spot-up any ball that is pocketed from the break shot.
3. Now start with Ball in Hand and pocket each ball in rotation order as you would in finishing a 9 Ball game.
If you miss, continue shooting until you run out, then rack the same numbered balls again and do it again.
Count and score 1-pt. for each rack you run out (from Ball in Hand) without missing. Score a total of 10 points (racks run without missing) before moving to the next level.
4. Next, rack the 6, 7, 8 & 9 ball and follow the opening steps again. Break the balls, spot-up any ball that is pocketed and then start with Ball in Hand and pocket each ball in rotation order as you would in finishing a 9 Ball game.
Don’t forget, if you miss, keep shooting until you finish running out that rack. Then, rack the same numbered balls again and run those out until you have run a total of 10 racks at each number count without missing.
5. Next, rack the 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 and follow the opening steps 1, 2, & 3 again.
6. Next, rack the 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 and complete 10 successful racks without missing.
7. Next, rack the 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 and follow steps 1, 2, and 3 again.
8. Next, rack the 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 ball. Finally,
9. Rack the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 and follow the same steps out.
NOTE: When you break the full rack, leave any balls made in the pocket. Then, start with ball in hand and continue to run the rack until you have finished 10 racks. Remember, if you miss a ball, continue shooting until you have pocketed all the balls. Only score the racks you successfully break and run. Your goal is to run 10 racks at each ball count level without a miss. This drill and many others can be found in Pro Skill Drills’ Volume 1, the Book and DVD, endorsed by 8 time World Champion Nick Varner. Click here to see the entire 6 volume set of drills. Now, don’t forget our promise.