Developing Your Follow Shot Drill
Pro Skill Drills, Volume 1 - 8 is filled with Drills that will build you skill level to whatever level of play you aspire to reach. Drills are hard work because they take time and patience, something many players don't bring to their game. But if you're determined to change all that, this month's lesson is the right on track for you. This Drill will perfect your straight-in follow shot from all critical points on the table.
We're going to use the same table layout we say last month when I taught you the Straight In Stop Shots Drill. This time our instead of stopping the cue ball on every shot, you're going to do an entire series of shots with follow; Top English.
- Line up 9 balls on Diamond Row (side pocket) "A" as shown above.
- Start with Ball In Hand on Diamond Row "1". Line up the cue ball for a straight-in shot on each shot.
- Make half the balls in the top left pocket and the last half in the top right pocket.
- While pocketing each ball in the row, cause the cue ball to follow after it ONE diamond.
- Again, line up 9 balls on Diamond Row "A" as shown above, this time causing the cue ball to follow after it TWO full diamonds.
- Again, line up 9 balls on Diamond Row "A" as shown above, this time causing the cue ball to follow after it THREE full diamonds.
- Again, line up 9 balls on Diamond Row "A" as shown above, this time causing the cue ball to follow after it FOUR full diamonds.
- Keep the original 9 balls on Diamond Row "A" as shown above, this time move the cue ball back to Diamond Row "2" for each shot.
- Redo steps 1-7 above only now place the cue ball on Diamond Row "3", then again on Diamond Row 4.
- Do Diamond Row "4" two times. Once with the cue ball 2" off the rail; the next time with the cue ball on the rail.
You can use parts of this drill as part of your warm up routine on a regular basis and when follow shots come up during your match, you'll start firing them in with a new confidence.